History
Gelders Bakery has grown from a few pies made to compliment a butchers shop in 1958 to a 5000sq.ft production unit employing 32 staff.

When Alan Gelder started out in 1958 his only intention was to earn a few extra pennies to supplement his working in his dad (Sam's) butchers shop. With the help of his wife, Lillian and his mother, Jane, he made a few Mince & Onion Pies to sell in the butchers shop and on his meat round. But the quality of the pies soon earned a following and gradually he realised he could not keep up with demand. So Alan and Lillian moved into a small shop and bought their first camwheat pie machine and employed their first employees.

The business continued to grow and eventually Alan took over his dad's premises and turned them into a bakery. The expansion continued with the purchase of two units at Leechmere Industrial Estate and finally the move in 1991 into our current premises at 14a Riverside Road, Southwick.

The company has undergone a lot of changes since Alan Gelder passed away, with his son Tony taking over the helm of the company with his mother Lillian as a partner in the business. The younger generation of Gelders is also represented with both of Alans grandaughters Victoria and Laura working in the business.

Why don't you meet the family on the following pages and also some of our loyal and dedicated employees.



Copyright 2016 - Gelders Bakers | North East Bakers Of Distinction
Home   |   About Us   |   Products   |   History   |   The Bakery   |   Contact Us